Saturday, September 27, 2014

AudioBooks: The Quicker Way to Read Without Cheating

I love books and I work in a library, but like most people I don't have all the time I want to read. My list of want-to reads have piled up in little stacks of paper on my desk and books I've purchased on my bookshelf. And then all of the classics I want to re-read.

I thought I would never get around to reading them. Then, I realized that I spend a lot of time driving in the car, listening to the same songs on the same radio stations. And, at work everyday, I check out audiobooks, books on CD, to patrons of all ages.

Now in the last few weeks, I've checked out and read:

The Bell Jar - I'm going to have to buy, to have and to hold
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - A good read, I like it better than the Wizard of Oz.
Son of a Witch - As good as the first book.
Fangirl - Nostalgic for me, who used to read fanfiction. It has a crazy, writer main character who doesn't get into the party in college-life.
The Valley of Amazement - Literary use of flowers as sexual organs will stay with me for years.
The Bonesetter's Daughter - Not my favorite Amy Tan book

And it counts! I hear the whole story, unabridged, and it's not cheating! I wish I had realized this in college and high school. It makes scrubbing the floor and driving to work a lot more interesting and I feel more productive.

Next up: 
Legend
A Lion Among Men
Catch-22 

No comments:

Post a Comment