Thursday, April 3, 2014

Body Changes in Your 20's: Dietary Restrictions

I can make and eat these at least
Apparently, your body does not stop changing once you've gotten out of puberty. Today, I'm talking about food allergies and dietary restrictions. Since I moved to Hawaii, I have had the opportunity to try an array of new foods, and (more often) I am finding that certain comfort foods are no longer edible.

How I eel about bananas and milk
Lactose Intolerant: I used to eat cereal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now my stomach bloats when I drink milk and I get indigestion sizzling in my throat. My stomach hurts as thousands of bubbles build up and expand. The upside is I can still eat some cheese and chocolate as long as it isn't too much or too heavy in dairy. (I expect this will not be the truth as I get older and more intolerant.)

Latex Allergy: I became increasingly aware that my lady parts burned after sex. I should've seen this coming. Just a few years ago, my feet broke into rashes after wearing plastic/latex sandals and went away once I switched to leather or cloth sandals. At the advice of my sister, I tried non-latex condoms and it was like angels flooded my vajay.

The thing I didn't know about the latex allergy is that, as it gets worse, the body starts to react to non-latex foods that have the same protein as latex. It's some cross-reaction that kills my stomach and makes it burn when I eat:
  • Bananas
  • Avocados
  • Papaya
Also on the cross-reactive foods list are:
  • Kiwi
  • Watermelon and other melons
  • Apple
  • Potato
  • Chestnut
  • Celery
  • Carrot
  • Tomato
  • And many more...
This is not the worst of it though. With these foods, I get stomach aches sometimes or itching in my mouth. Nuts: Being allergic to the pollen in trees and their sap and their everything is not enough apparently. I will break out into rashes and get itchy all over. My eyes water and I sneeze so much I piss myself sometimes. Gross, but honest. Still, if I ingest a tree nut (including coconut), I am likely to asphyxiate.

Damn you body! For once in my life, I'm trying to eat healthy and I have access to cheap (and many times free!) organic food!

I would love help, if anyone can offer advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment