Saturday, July 27, 2013

Get Happy: Happify Website Boosts Mood

It's no secret that I've been struggling for a while with unhappiness. I frequently tell me psychologist, my parents, and my friends that all I want is to be happy.

Still, my blog posts are infrequent. My sleep schedule is off. I've moved to Hawaii and struggle to find peace.

Anyway, I was contacted by the creator of the new website Happify, which has a vision to 'bring the science of happiness to mass market.'

Did you know happiness isn't about being happy?

It took a few days for me to get around to it, but I signed up. I took a test and Happify started me on a track to Appreciate What You Have. 

Sounds good because I tend to have negative thoughts: "If I didn't have student loans...If I had a job that paid more...If only..."

I took some quizzes, participated in some polls, and reflected on life. I wrote entries and responded to comments. I played a few games, meditated, and stretched too.

My mood did go up. Marginally. While I was on the website. Still, it was better than my parents saying "You should appreciate what you have" because after a while that shit gets irritating and really starts working the opposite way.

Why can't I appreciate what I have?

Every two weeks, I took a test and my mood did go up a few points each time, but slowly. And I still wasn't at my full-happy potential.

I think it's important here to mention I have Depression with a capitol D. Perhaps, this site works like Prozac does. It's slow, but if I stick with it overtime it will conquer more worries. Also, it would probably help if I interacted with the people more, and develop a good support system.

Anyway, I do appreciate my life more now. Or I try to.

I'm on the Cope with Stress Better track now. We will see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment